Sunday, July 13, 2014

From Fear to Faith


Moving from one place to another is much more about emotion than about packing up the things of life that hold a spot in the house.  The emotional aspect of transition is much more difficult to unpack.  After the call, then there is a process by which each person must accept the move.  In many ways, it’s like the process of dying.  Elizabeth Kubler-Ross promotes these five stages of dying which I think are the same five stages of transitional moving: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.  No one goes through these stages at the same pace; sometimes we even go back and forth between them.  But after what I perceived to be the call to the Australian Lutheran Church, I found that the transition was very much like a dying process for me.  In order for new life to occur, something old had to die.

And it was a part of me that I really wanted to keep alive.

After months of agonizing over the decision, of trying to keep it secret from the congregation that I was serving, and after hiding it from even my own consciousness, I began to get angry with my wife, my kids, the congregation, God, it didn’t matter.  The United States was where I had grown up and I needed the comfort of the American accent and the (mostly) accepted understanding that God is real and relatively well liked.  My anger at my wife was nothing that she did, but simply the uncontrollable fact that she was Australian.  It’s not like I just woke up one morning after twelve years of marriage and said to myself, “Jeez, I just realized that my wife doesn’t have the same accent as I do and maybe she would like to live near her home for a while.”  When we are asked to step away from ourselves, our first instinct, unfortunately, is to strike out at those closest to us rather than to face head-on our instinctive difficulty to trust.

I knew that it was coming and yet I resented her background because it made me dis-comfortable at that time.  For nights, she would be unable to fall asleep, eyes searching the dark ceiling until 2:12 a.m. wondering if we had made the right choice.  Then, she would succumb to sleep praying for her husband.  At 2:13 I would wake up, startled from sleep by the rampaging thoughts that we were making a mistake.  And, if we were making a mistake, certainly it was Christine’s fault because there was no way we’d be moving to Plainland if she wasn’t Australian.

At least that’s what I thought.

But I was mad at God, too.  I liked being comfortable.  When we find ourselves in dis-comfort, life becomes a black hole of self-pity and all of our energy is used trying to figure out how to escape the malaise of the inevitability of change.  I spent an inordinate amount of time saying stupid things to God like…

All right, I’ll do this for you, but you better make life even more comfortable for me when we get to Plainland. 

Or

All right, God, I’ll be the martyr, I’ll pick up the cross for my wife and move all the way to the other side of the planet, but you better change my wife so that she constantly praises me for the awesomeness that I embody for her, because I did this for her (never mind the fact that she had uprooted fifteen years before to live in my country) and you’d better send some people to the church that really appreciate me as the awesome pastor that I am and have them feel like they need to stroke my ego by telling me so.  That’s what you’d better do if I do this.

And then, God ignores my complaints, ignores my ignorance of the bigger picture, ignores my foolishness and simply says, “Go in whatever strength that you have and I will be with you.”  “In your weakness, I am made strong; we’ll do this together.”

I was weak.. 

It’s not like I recognized God’s words to be uplifting or even harbingers of joy.  It’s not as if understanding brings about happiness.  When we hear God’s call, that’s when transition begins.  My emotional detachment was moving past anger, past the stupidity of bargaining with God and into the stress of depression.  I sank deeper and deeper into myself the more photos I saw packaged and placed into large cardboard boxes.  I knew that I wouldn’t see them for four months (that’s how long it takes to transport belongings across the Pacific), but I wasn’t prepared not to see them for fourteen months (that’s how long it took us to unpack all the boxes).  I didn’t get to see the visible representations of who I was, where I’d been and what comfortable life was like (at least my fallible recollection of it).

When we finally did open the remaining boxes of our belongings, the ones with the photos in them, the amount of time to hammer nails into the walls took quite a bit longer than it should have.  It wasn’t the hardship of actually finding a stud in a wall, which never happens for me.  I usually end up frustrated by the fact that I’ve made the wall look like a Lite Brite[1]. 

With each photo that we lovingly placed on the wall or on top of a cabinet, a flood of memories washes over us and we were reminded of where we came from and what life was like.  Spending time remembering is one of the most important parts of transition.  In our contemporary Western culture, we are constantly in a rush to get to new information, fast information – forget about the actual details of the story, just let me know what I need to know in order to operate.

But the ancients didn’t have that fascination with speed.  Half of the importance of telling a story was setting the scene – remembering what that time was like, who the people were, how they behaved under pressure.  The snapshots from the Bible give us a collection of pictures of how God interacted with his people.  And with each portrait, we are given a new understanding of how God changed it all in the person of Jesus.  In studying the Bible, we begin to recognize not how much is lost in translation (although that happens) but how much is lost in transition.  What we notice in the book of Mark, where I’ll focus, is the way Jesus shapes the world view of the Jews, the gentiles, the disciples and future believers.  The greatest transition of all.

From fear to faith.



[1] A Lite Brite is basically a plastic box with a Christmas light in the back.  Covering the front is a hard plastic mesh where a template with a picture is placed.  After pushing colored plastic pieces through the template and the through the holes of the mesh, the light is turned on to reveal the picture in glowing form.  I got one for Christmasoncet.

No comments:

The Pit

In the beginning was the pit. Yesterday, I did something I hadn't done in a quarter century. To be entirely frank, that quarter century ...